Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Longform Guide to Disease

Marjorie Williams ? Vanity Fair ? October 2005

Living on borrowed time, with liver cancer.

?I live at least two different lives. In the background, usually, is the knowledge that, for all my good fortune so far, I will still die of this disease. This is where I wage the physical fight, which is, to say the least, a deeply unpleasant process. And beyond the concrete challenges of needles and mouth sores and barf basins and barium, it has thrown me on a roller coaster that sometimes clatters up a hill, giving me a more hopeful, more distant view than I?d expected, and at other times plunges faster and farther than I think I can endure. Even when you know the plunge is coming?it?s in the nature of a roller coaster, after all, and you know that you disembark on the bottom and not the top?even then, it comes with some element of fresh despair.

?I?ve hated roller coasters all my life.?

?Please Stand by While the Age of Miracles Is Briefly Suspended"

lee evans 49ers 49ers vs giants joe paterno san francisco 49ers san francisco 49ers giants vs 49ers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.